I'm trying to find exact formulation of Portuguese proverb that would convey the message of new day, new try at things. I only heard it briefly in conversation, but the metaphor was something along the line of another coin, another carousel ride.

• new try at things?? This is very little to go on.
    – Lambie
    Commented Mar 23, 2023 at 14:12
  • It must be an European Portuguese thing, then. It's very clear what they are asking about - it's from local fairs, carousels, boxcars, etc.
    – ANeves
    Commented Mar 27, 2023 at 19:53

1 Answer 1

The formulation is almost an ipsis-verbis translation of what you have:

Mais uma moedinha, mais uma voltinha.

It's a common saying in Portugal, and has the simple metaphorical meaning that you sensed: "pay another coin, ride the carousel again" - repeating an attempt, having another go, etc.

It's a typical phrase used by carousel ride owners when calling folks to ride:

Vai partir, vai mais uma...
Mais uma moedinha, mais uma voltinha...
Vai rodar, vai andar...
As crianças não pagam, mas também não andam.

• I am so happy you could identify this. Mas não vejo como a frase quer dizer: convey the message of new day, new try at things.
    – Lambie
    Commented Mar 28, 2023 at 15:11
    @Lambie With the carrousel, even if we already rode it we can pay another coin to ride again; and again; and again. In the same way, if yesterday we tried something, today is a new day and we can try again; and tomorrow too; etc. This is the similarity that I see. The saying itself carries an implication of repeating, of doing-again (in this case trying); and not of having the opportunity to try again, in the sense of changing (yesterday you tried A, but today is a new day and you get the opportunity to try B instead!).
    – ANeves
    Commented Mar 28, 2023 at 16:52
  • Riding again and again, is not trying new things.
    – Lambie
    Commented Mar 28, 2023 at 23:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.