Podem fazer-se mudanças sempre que foram dentro de 15 mil dólares e não fossem de atividades que foram a salários.

In English:

Changes can be made as long as they are within 15 thousand dollars and they were activities and did not go to salaries.

• What do you think? We are not supposed to do editing but help you understand some point or other. sempre que introduces doubt or uncertainty so the subjunctive is right here.
    – Lambie
    Nov 29, 2021 at 16:30
  • Clayton, I am sorry, but it is hard to understand what you are trying to say. Could you please make it clearer? If that helps, try reading other questions here written in English, so you can understand the format.
    – Schilive
    Nov 29, 2021 at 16:34
  • Thanks, maybe I was not clear in my question - main doubt is here: não fossem de atividades que foram a salários. You see how forem appears twice but is not in subjunctive the second time? Nov 29, 2021 at 16:35

1 Answer 1

Your sentence is not quite right. You want one of these:

Podem fazer-se mudanças sempre que sejam abaixo de 15 mil dólares e sejam atividades que não vão para salários.

Podem fazer-se mudanças sempre que forem abaixo de 15 mil dólares e forem atividades que não forem para salários.

Because you’re talking of hypothetical, potential, changes, you need the subjunctive, either present (sejam) or future (forem): both work in this case; the present subjunctive of ir is vão, and the future subjunctive of both ir and ser is forem.

Now, if instead of sempre que (more akin to whenever) you use desde que (more akin to your as long as) then you can only use the present subjunctive, not the future subjunctive (the choice between the two often depends on little things like this), but without any change in meaning:

Podem fazer-se mudanças desde que sejam abaixo de 15 mil dólares e sejam atividade que não vão para salários.

What you don’t want is the past subjunctive fossem, because that’s for counterfactuals, as in:

Poderiam fazer-se as mudanças se elas fossem para actividades… mas como não são, não se fazem (changes could be made if they were for activities… but as they are not, they are not made)

If you were talking of changes that have happened already then you could use the indicative, but I’d use the “pretérito imperfeito” (eram, íam), not the “pretérito perfeito” (foram):

Poderam fazer-se as mudanças sempre que eram abaixo de 15 mil dólares e eram atividades que não íam para salários.

The notion of “activities that go to salaries” sounds strange to me, but I cannot suggest anything better without understanding exactly what you mean. But it is para not a (and I’m Portuguese, hence rather partial towards a when compared to Brazilians).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.