I understand that Umas is the most common when referring to numbers and tempos, but there seem to be examples where algumas works too, and I have no idea why. I got this from an academic essay so I guess its realiable but not 100% sure.

"Há uns tempos, César parara num «auto-stop» e não levava o cinto de segurança." is apparently right.

"Há alguns tempos, César parara num «auto-stop» e não levava o cinto de segurança. " is wrong

but then "Mas, de alguns tempos para cá, tenho descoberto alguns pontos em que, quase por milagre, ela sobreviveu. " is right?

https://imgur.com/a/Wze3KWc No idea why..

And the same issue for numbers "Inez Teixeira é uma jovem pintora que tem exposto regularmente desde há uns dois anos" is right

"Inez Teixeira é uma jovem pintora que tem exposto regularmente desde há alguns dois anos. " is wrong

but then "O Massimo esteve dentro do hotel alguns três minutos." and "Agora, só numa semana são alguns quatro ou cinco. " are supposedly both grammatically correct again.

https://imgur.com/a/X8jxoBo No clue why.

Any help is appreciated :)

• No, umas and algumas cannot be used with numéros and tempos. It has to be uns and alguns. Those words are masculine, not feminine. It's hard to understand how you might have made those mistakes in asking this question. Há alguns anos means a few years ago. You cannot put a number in there. Just like in English: A few two years ago. Right? – Lambie May 27 at 13:47
    Welcome to Portuguese SE. You might want to include in your question a link to your source: ojs.letras.up.pt/index.php/elingUP/article/view/2540 – stafusa May 27 at 14:09
  • @Lambie "It's hard to understand how you might have made those mistakes in asking this question" - mental how a non native speaker might be open to the idea that there may be sentences like " Estou aqui umas cinco vezes por dia" where uns does become feminine. That being said, thank you, it makes much more sense thinking of "alguns" as a few rather than some – Jim stoke May 27 at 14:42
  • vez is feminine. But the feminine does not appear in any of your examples. Anyway, I can't read the whole article without downloading which I am not prepared to do. Sorry. – Lambie May 27 at 15:19
  • @Lambie Its fine, the question was about the principle of umas/uns in relation to numbers not confined to examples but thanks anyway – Jim stoke May 27 at 16:16

Restricting myself to pt-BR, the OP examples with "alguns/algumas" all sound quite strange.

And the construction "desde há (uns dois anos)" seems simply wrong, like "since for (some two years)".

• Thank you! It was some essay I found from the University of Porto and they had "O Massimo esteve dentro do hotel alguns três minutos." as correct and it just didnt make sense to me why it would be. But Im trying to learn pt-BR anyway, so if its definitely wrong in Brazil then thats good for me – Jim stoke May 27 at 15:02
  • Jim, please try and spell correctly. We do still use apostrophes in English. There is nothing worse on a language site to use sloppy spelling. It makes for a lot of confusion. – Lambie May 27 at 17:37

As Stafusa, I am from Brazil. Even though it would be interesting to see someone from Portugal.

For me, only the two last examples sound wrong, “O Massimo [...]” and “Agora, só [...]”. The example “há alguns dois anos” does sound weirder, but certainly not wrong; if it were “há alguns anos” or “há uns dois anos”, then it would sound totally natural.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.