In Portuguese (Brazil) we have nouns that end in -aria and nouns that end in -eria. Are there rules / patterns / an etymological explanation of when we use each?

-aria:

• a chapelaria
  • a estrebaria
  • a sapataria
  • a mercearia

-eria:

• a lavanderia
  • a sorveteria
  • a joalheria
  • a cafeteria
  • Those endings are not regularly used in Portugal, but they exist and they are correct. We use lavandaria, gelataria, joalharia and cafetaria instead of lavanderia, sorveteria, joalheria e cafeteria. – ANeves May 8 at 16:45
  • @Lawrence de facto "state of the art" reference for this is "Gramática Derivacional do Português". I wanted to write an answer but didn't have the necessary time. – bad_coder May 9 at 20:42
  • This Gramática is really interesting. It says much about nouns ending in -aria, but nothing about nouns ending in -eria. – Jacinto May 10 at 12:27

Houaiss dictionary has detailed entries for the suffixes -eria and -aria. The only rule appears to be: wait until usage establishes one form, the other, or both. The form -aria is a lot more common; when an -eria word exists it usually has an -aria twin; some -eria words were adapted from or influenced by Spanish -ería or French -erie, but they have been around since the 15th century. I now quote the Houaiss dictionary (Lisbon, 2002; original abbreviations expanded into full words; English translation below):

-aria sufixo importa remontá-lo a duas fontes, -IA (ver) e -EIRO (ver), donde resultaram -eria e este -aria, sendo que -eria tanto pode ter tido formação portuguesa interna (à analogia e, por vezes, influência do espanhol -eria e do francês -erie), como pode ter sido desde o início concorrente de -aria pelas influências referidas;

The entry goes on to explain that this suffix -aria was highly productive, and lists over 300 words, and the list is not exhaustive. I especially resent the omission of gataria.

-eria sufixo do francês -erie, em curso no português já no século XV, vem sendo objeto de rejeição didática purista, mas apresenta certos casos em que o sufixo -aria, ver, canónico poderia ser fonte de ambiguidade, como em bateria, galeria, sobranceria; em vários casos são registadas as duas formas, como amideria/amidaria, bijuteria/bijutaria, bilheteria/bilhetaria, charcuteria/charcutaria, engraxateria/engraxataria, glutoneria/glutonaria, guasqueria/guascaria, grosseria/grossaria, infanteria/infantaria, joalheria/joalharia, leiteria/leitaria, lavanderia/lavandaria, loteria/lotaria, mamposteria/mampostaria, parceria/parçaria, pedanteria/pedantaria, peleria/pelaria, selvageria/selvajaria, sorveteria/sorvetaria, talabarteria/talabartaria, tolderia/toldaria, uisqueria/uiscaria, vozeria/vozaria; a forma -eria é, em certo sentido, coonestada pelo sufixo conexo de agente     -EIRO, ver

Again, this list is not exhaustive. In entry -aria we can still find (all these have an -aria twin): chocolateria, carniceria, gendarmeria, barganteria, galanteria, guacheria, carroceria. Cafeteria and cafetaria don’t appear in either list (they have their own entries though).

Houaiss entries translated

-aria suffix it is important to trace them to two origins, -IA (see) and -EIRO (see), from which     -eria and this -aria resulted; -eria may have been internally formed in the Portuguese language (by analogy to and, sometimes, influenced by, Spanish -ería and French -erie) as well as a competitor from the beginning to -aria under the aforementioned influence.

-eria suffix from French -erie, already in use in Portuguese in the 15th century, it keeps being the target of purist, didactical objection, but there are certain cases where the canonical suffix   -aria, see, could give rise to ambiguity, as in bateria, galeria, sobranceria; in various cases both forms have been recorded [word list]; the form -eria is, in some sense, made to look honest/legitimated by the related agency suffix -EIRO, see

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for this! In the cases where the two forms exist, is one more prevalent in Brazilian Portuguese? – Lawrence May 9 at 16:29
  • @Lawrence, I'm from Portugal; my hunch is it will depend on the word. I looked up the words Houaiss lists in Michaelis, a Brazilian dictionary, and it has the -eria form only or in -aria just tells you to look up -eria (which I take to mean -eria is prevalent) in bilheteria, bijuteria, carroceria, grosseria, joalheria, leiteria, lavanderia, loteria, parceria, selvageria, sorveteria [all fairly common words] uisqueria [common?], mamposteria [had never heard of it]; it's the opposite with >> – Jacinto May 9 at 20:24
  • >> charcutaria, infantaria [common words], chocolataria, galantaria, vozaria [so-so], amidaria, carniçaria, gendarmaria, bargantaria, talabartaria, toldaria [I think all of these are pretty rare]. So if this sample is anything to go by, where a common word has both forms, more often than not, the -eria form is more common. Which of course still leaves some where -aria is more common. What is clear is that -eria words are more common in Brazil than in Portugal. I Portugal we use grosseria, parceria (had never heard the other variant); carroceria, galanteria, bijuteria >> – Jacinto May 9 at 20:38
  • >> compete with the -aria form. In all other cases we use only the -aria form, except for the rare words, which I have no idea about. – Jacinto May 9 at 20:42
    @bad_coder, poupo-te o trabalho: a morfologia vem no volume III, que ainda não foi publicado! Pelo andar da carruagem, não faço quando será. – Jacinto May 10 at 12:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.