Google tells me that both 'legumes' and 'vegetais' mean 'vegetables'.

Can anyone give me a little more detail on their meanings and the right contexts to use them in?

• Hello Kriss, this is a very good question! I edited your question to try to improve it; I changed the title and the content a bit. If you prefer the previous version, you can always check the revision history for your question and rollback :) to your original version. – ANeves thinks SE is evil Apr 9 at 12:02

tl;dr — "vegetal" is a vegetable; "legume" is a vegetable from horticulture.

"Vegetal"

"Vegetal" means vegetable.
It is the same word as in English.

This word has a precise definition, and its common use matches the scientific definition.

Trees, shrubs, grasses, they are all vegetables.

The Priberam dictionary defines it as:

ve·ge·tal

adjectivo de dois géneros

1. Relativo às plantas.

substantivo masculino

1. Árvore; planta. [Tree; plant]

2. Terra proveniente das decomposições vegetais. = HÚMUS

"vegetal", in Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa [online], 2008-2020, https://dicionario.priberam.org/vegetal [visited in 09-04-2020].

"Legume"

"Legume" is a common word for an horticulture produce.

It's a fuzzy word with a more fluid meaning.
It's the name in the supermarket for "fruits and vegetables": "frutas e legumes".

The root of the word "legume" is the same word as the root for the English word "legume" (pt: leguminosa).

The Priberam dictionary defines it as:

le·gu·me
substantivo masculino

1. Grão das plantas faseoláceas.

2. [Botânica] Planta hortense que dá vagem.

3. Produto da horticultura.

4. Hortaliça.

"legume", in Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa [online], 2008-2020, https://dicionario.priberam.org/legume [visited 09-04-2020].

I would translate that as:

1. Grain from the Fabaceae family. ("Phaseollaceae"? Just... yeah, ignore that.)

2. [Botanic] Horticultural plant that yields pods.

3. Horticulture produce.

4. Edible greenery produce from horticulture.

Kale, broad-beans, carrots, tomato, cucumber, bell-pepper, are "legumes": horticulture products.

| improve this answer | |
  • Tangent: the tomato and the cucumber are legumes (vegetables), not frutas (fruits)... but they're frutos. Fruta is a common word defined by daily usage, and fruto is a scientific word with a strict definition; so a melon is both fruto and fruta; but pumpkin is fruto and not fruta but legume. – ANeves thinks SE is evil Apr 9 at 11:57
  • In my experience, and also according to Wikipedia and dictionaries, lemon is a fruit ("fruta"), also "fruta" is simply an edible "fruto" according to, e.g., Priberam. – stafusa Apr 9 at 21:33
  • I can agree to put the lemon next to the other citrus, which are fruits; but I don't find any dictionary evidence that is is fruta. I will replace it with pumpkin or cucumber, thank you for pointing out the weak example. – ANeves thinks SE is evil Apr 10 at 2:39
  • «also "fruta" is simply an edible "fruto"» With that I don't agree. A lot of "legumes" are edible fruit, and they're not considered "fruta"; doesn't that show that the definition is not strict? Pumpkin, cucumber, tomato, they're edible fruits but not fruta, don't you agree?... this is a very interesting theme of discussion. : ) – ANeves thinks SE is evil Apr 10 at 2:48
    @stafusa, I don't think it's a duplicate. And I would be glad to see more responses here; go ahead and post one! :) For a languages site, even if the content itself is the same, in my opinion a different presentation is enough to justify a new answer - and I think this brings very good value. Maybe one answer has a long and nitpicky explanation and another one has a clear-cut simple and short explanation... these will serve different users; or they use different styles or writing; or they focus on different cultures; or... :) – ANeves thinks SE is evil Apr 10 at 18:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.