I often see in some programs the word "Doleiro", like in News. Usually, they are involved in corruption. But even searching on internet, I'm not sure if this is a correct definition:

Doleiro é o indivíduo que compra e vende dólares no mercado paralelo. Ao caracterizar alguém como doleiro a Polícia Federal já indicia a ele ao menos nos crimes de lavagem de dinheiro e evasão de divisas. Dessa forma, entende-se que o doleiro é quem converte moedas de um país sem autorização ou além dos limites permitidos das leis vigentes.

Is "Doleiro" this? Is this definition correct? Is there any other possible meaning?

If someone can explain me with "easy words", because I'm not an fluent speaker of portuguese, I would be happy.

• Don't forget to add a link to your sources. – Centaurus Nov 27 '17 at 22:37
    Doleiro is a black market dollar dealer. I just know this from personal experience. At some point, if you've needed to exchange dollars for reais or reais for dollars you might have used one. It is extremely common and used by "respectable" people. – Lambie Nov 28 '17 at 0:08

Briefly, "doleiro" is the guy who gets your dirty money from crimes or illegal practices here in Brazil and deposits it in offshore tax-havens.

By doing this, the "doleiro" is committing two crimes: "tax evasion" (evasão de divisas), which consists in withdrawing money from one country and depositing it in another country without any formal notification to the competent authorities) and "money laundering": hiding valuable objects resulting from illegal operations.

Because these amounts cannot simply be deposited into the beneficiary's bank account (such a move would raise suspicions), a "Doleiro" seeks a safe destination for the money.

It is quite common for a "doleiro" to own legal currency exchange offices, which are often used to secretly perform those irregular money operations. Very rarely can the Internal Revenue Service trace such moves.

I hope I was helpful.

Visit https://www.nexojornal.com.br/expresso/2016/04/07/O-que-é-um-doleiro-figura-presente-nos-principais-esquemas-de-corrupção

• This is completely misleading. A doleiro does not get "my" dirty money. The exchange rate they offer is better. Yes, they may have some dirty money customers but many "respectable" people use them. I have used one. And it's on a cash-only basis, too. – Lambie Nov 28 '17 at 0:12
  • In fact, Brazilians travelling abroad will often use them because the rate is better, and, also, tourists use them (when referred by Brazilians) because the rate is better. Now, there are obviously large transactions carried out re tax havens for the rich etc. but that they also help poorer people, in fact. – Lambie Nov 28 '17 at 0:51
  • What does "the rate is better" mean? Obviously if the rate is better for someone buying dollars with reais, it is worse for those selling dollars for reais. Do you mean their spread is smaller? (I don't think so. The advantage of the doleiro is rather that s/he doesn't ask for your identity card, which means more privacy and no paperwork.) – Luís Henrique Dec 1 '17 at 10:49
  • The rate is better means in either direction the exchange rate is better, mostly by getting rid of the bank fees. Exchange rates can be for both directions. SO: when I go to RIO, I take my dollars to the doleiro because he gives me more for my dollars, and when my friends travel ABOARD, they take their reais to them and he will ask for fewer reais per dollar and their money will go farther. Spread is irrelevant, this isn't forex trading. The exchange rates are better regardless of the direction. Why are you questioning this simple idea?? – Lambie Dec 8 '17 at 15:48

A definição apresentada está correta. Um doleiro é um indivíduo que negocia divisas sem pagar taxas ou impostos. São na verdade muito comuns no Brasil, em alguns Estados mais que em outros, por motivos administrativos e culturais. Geralmente são procurados por oferecerem melhores valores de câmbio.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.