I am working on an art project that I would like to collect the hundreds of different transliterations of 「中文」 zhōng wén in Mandarin Chinese. (Pronunciation available here: https://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/de/中文)

How can I transliterate zhōng wén in Portuguese? (For example, "zhong wen" would be the closest pronunciation in English.)

• maybe "chong uene" or "xong uen"... – Jorge B. Mar 30 '17 at 16:11
  • Hearing Google Translator pronunciation, it sounds like "xong uóóó". – gmauch Mar 31 '17 at 1:16

For European Portuguese, the best transliteration that I can find is:

xhoun'uén

Explanation:

• We don't have the "xh" sound, but neither does English have "zh".
    I think it would be understood.
    We could also use "ch" instead of "x" here - it has this same sound.
    But with "ch" I can't find a way to mark the light separation between the consonants and the vowels - the h in "zhōng".

• The "ou" could mean a longer o sound ("choupo"), but also a sound like the name of the vowel "o" in English: /ou/ .

• The apostrophe is used in Portuguese to mark elision of letters, mostly in informal speech.

• The "é" is an /ɛ/, an open e. (see http://www.internationalphoneticalphabet.org/ipa-sounds/ipa-chart-with-sounds/ )

• I am interested in seeing alternative answers, at least one with a Brasilian Portuguese transliteration. :) I expect it to be different. – ANeves Mar 31 '17 at 12:15
  • OK, I provided one. :) – stafusa Jan 12 '18 at 13:17

The question is old, but since a pt-BR is still missing, I can offer my opinion:

tchôun'uén

Where my changes with respect to ANeves' answer (xhoun'uén) are only two: 1) xh to tch, like in the Portuguese "tchau" or English "chore", and 2) o to ô in order to make both emphasis and closeness explicit. I'm not sure the e is really that open to warrant the acute accent, but it's probably good to have it there to counteract a bit the nasalization of the final n.

• I like the extra circumflex accent on the o. It's not needed in pt-PT (with our accent we'd never open the "ou"), but I understand how it is necessary for pt-BR. :) – ANeves Jan 12 '18 at 18:06
  • @ANeves It would unusual in pt-BR too, though more likely if someone is trying to fake a Chinese accent ;-) but it's mostly for stress. – stafusa Jan 12 '18 at 19:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.