I am working on a menu for a form selector and need to figure out a few terms into Brazilian Portuguese. These are options within the form.

These are also stand alone options so no additional context or examples will be given as if I laid down examples with it's usages within sentences, it would defeat the purposes of what I am trying to get as an answer.

The terms I need help with are:

Survey

Surveying

Survey Fields

Survey Tools

Again, they are stand alone options within a form builder. I have considered "Campos de Inquerito", "Campos de Pesquisa", "Ferramentas de PEsquisa", but wonder if there are better options. Also when it comes to "Survey" or "Surveying" I'm not sure what to consider. Is there even a 'single' translation word that we can use it in Brazilian Portuguese?

• What exactly does a "survey field" mean in this context?
    – Dan Getz
    Feb 19, 2017 at 12:51
    Also, your suggested translations are confusing me. The use of the term "surveying" in the English makes it sound like you're talking about topografia/topologia, but your translations make it sound like you're talking about pesquisas de campo. Please edit your question to explain what the form builder is for.
    – Dan Getz
    Feb 19, 2017 at 12:55
    I would argue that if the context relates to search, "pesquisa" would be the most adequate translation. On the other hand, if the context is data collection, "inquérito" would probably fit the bill better
    – Joum
    Feb 22, 2017 at 17:09
    I know what it is, I dreaded those surveys when I live in Canada, and now I'm plagued by them again in Brazil. I'm almost sure there are precedents on those translations already.
    – Ramon Melo
    Feb 28, 2017 at 3:03
  • Sorry guys.. I didn't come around to answering all your questions and requests for additional input but Ramon nailed it. Best!
    – Hugo
    Mar 1, 2017 at 7:30

3 Answers 3

Forms are a common application in Brazil and there are a few translations that have become well-known by the general public. The preferred translation for survey seems to be questionário, as evidenced by my overflowing inbox:

Most online survey applications also prefer the term questionário:

source: Survey Monkey em Português

source: Survey Monkey

Following that rationale, Survey Fields and Survey Tools would translate to Campos de Questionário and Ferramentas de Questionário, respectively. The downside of this is that Surveying doesn't have a direct translation, but you can express actions with an auxiliary verb: Aplicando Questionários.

As you could see in my inbox picture, Pesquisa is also a popular term, and it is just as good. If you go with it, then Survey Fields, Survey Tools and Surveying will translate to Campos de Pesquisa, Ferramentas de Pesquisa and Pesquisando, respectively.

Pesquisa was Google's choice for localizing its Forms web application:

source: Formulários Google

source: Google Forms

• Thank Ramon! That totally settled it! Gotta go adjust some strings now! hehe :D
    – Hugo
    Mar 1, 2017 at 7:27
    @Hugo I'm glad my daily spam managed to help someone.
    – Ramon Melo
    Mar 1, 2017 at 10:42

Survey is basically pesquisa like SurveyMonkey is a website for Pesquisas (Survey)

Based on Cambridge Dictionary Survey is:

• Noun: an examination of opinions, behaviour, etc.
  • Verb: to look at or examine all of something, especially carefully
                        NOUN                    VERB

Survey              Exame                   Examinar

Surveying                                   Examinando

Survey Fields       Área de Exame

Survey Tools        Ferramentas de Exame
  • If you're using that meaning of "survey", why is this better than the word "pesquisa" that Hugo suggested? I've know I've heard "pesquisa de campo" used in this context, but never "exame" before.
    – Dan Getz
    Feb 19, 2017 at 20:24
  • A palavra "pesquisa" parece se encaixar mais no contexto do que "exame"
    – Luciano
    Feb 20, 2017 at 18:05
  • Acho que o site wordreference pode ajudar nessas traduções. Feb 21, 2017 at 11:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.