What would you call "mouse pad" in Brazilian Portuguese?

It is a flat, corrugated surface to improve the use of the computer mouse.

Suggestions: tapete de rato, mouse pad, tapetinho de mouse.

Image: http://www.toshiba.pt/CMS/PT/ProductPictures/bundle_final_4th_August__1_.jpg

a mouse pad

  • 2
    pt-PT: Tapete de rato
    – Jorge B.
    Commented Nov 14, 2016 at 16:57
  • /mauzipédi/ :-)
    – marcus
    Commented Aug 10, 2022 at 15:45

5 Answers 5


In Brazil we don't have a specific word for mouse pad.

Mouse pad will still be mouse pad. Like a lot of words or expressions relative to computing, basically.

For example:

wireless, mouse, backend, frontend.

A example in a sentence:

Ganhei um mousepad quando comprei um novo computador.

in english will be like this:

I got a mousepad when bought a new computer.

All of these examples above are perfectly understood in Brazil. No need to translate them.

These words, usually english words, are called "estrangeirismo", when habits start to accept a foreign word as a native of your language.

  • 9
    Maximiliano, "mouse", "mouse pad", "download", etc. não são neologismos. Por enquanto, são "estrangeirismos". No dia em que incorporarmos tais palavras ao nosso léxico, e adaptarmos a grafia ao modo como a palavra é pronunciada, elas passarão a ser "empréstimos linguísticos".
    – Centaurus
    Commented Nov 13, 2016 at 20:10
  • There's probably a difference between words like design, layout, even mouse... And mouse pad, a noun phrase. I'd be a little surprised if it wasn't tapete de mouse. Certainly there's mainly this phrase in resale pages for individuals like the Brazilian mercadolibre. There's also a difference between Brazilian pt and European : words like design aren't in fashion in Europe, this internationalization of pt is mainly Brazilian. Commented Nov 14, 2016 at 12:37
  • Acho que esteira fica melhor para pad.
    – Lambie
    Commented Nov 14, 2016 at 15:05
  • 1
    Maximiliano, can you add an example sentence? I think your answer would be much more solid with one.
    – ANeves
    Commented Nov 14, 2016 at 20:10
  • nos dicionários existe leiaute Commented Nov 16, 2016 at 11:42

É "mouse pad" mesmo, ou, menos frequentemente, apoio para mouse ou suporte para mouse.

  • Existem outros nomes pouco usados em pt-BR como "apoio para mouse", "base para mouse", ou "suporte para mouse", geralmente quando são modificações do mouse pad tradicional Commented Nov 16, 2016 at 11:49

Brazilian Portuguese

Even though it's an object we use every day when we move a computer mouse on its surface, we rarely hear someone mention its name. The only name I've heard so far in Brazilian Portuguese is really "mouse pad", and I don't think I've heard it more than a dozen times. In written Portuguese, however, we find "tapete de mouse" just as often as "mouse pad". My small sample in the spoken language doesn't allow me to affirm "mouse pad" is the more prevalent term, though. Then again, who's got a large sample from the spoken language if most people seldom need to use the word?


In Brazil good number of IT related objects keep their English names. In Portugal, however, they typically name them using Portuguese words. For example:

English l Brazil l Portugal

Monitor l Monitor l Ecrã

Mouse l Mouse l Rato

  • 1
    Curiously, écran ís a French, not a Portuguese word. It is monitor that is Portuguese; it was the English language that borrowed it from Latin. Commented Nov 20, 2016 at 1:52
  • In Portugal we use monitor as well.
    – Jorge B.
    Commented Nov 21, 2016 at 9:05

"Tapete do rato" é o termo correto.

  • Nunca ouvi este termo antes. Já ouviste-o sendo utilizado em quais situações? Conversas informais? Escrita?
    – gmauch
    Commented Feb 17, 2017 at 15:50
  • É um termo comum em Portugal. Refere sempre ao objecto que está por baixo do rato. Commented Feb 20, 2017 at 7:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.