The terms pretty-print(er,ing) are often used in programming to designate a kind of function that outputs a human-readable text, in a more pleasant way than a "raw" representation of the data being printed.

I found the following translations online, but I don't know which one (if any) is more commonly used (or if the English form is used without translation):

  • Impressão bonita
  • Impressão formatada
  • Impressão alinhada
  • Impressor-embelezador
  • Impressão elegante
  • 1
    I've never heard any of these. At least when the "output" is code, the automatic code organization is usually called "formatação".
    – Yuuza
    Mar 22 '16 at 15:39
  • 1
    So "formatação" would be the term for pretty-printing? And printing would be simply "impressão"? By the way, your answer helped me find this Spanish SE question about the same term, but it seems to diverge towards indenting, so I'm not sure it helps much.
    – anol
    Mar 22 '16 at 16:58
  • 1
    "Formatação" doesn't mean the exact same thing as "pretty-printing", but it's the closest in meaning that I'm aware of. Yes, printing means "impressão". About the indenting, to pretty-print code is basically just organize the indenting. Some also fixes capitalization, but usually this is done while typing.
    – Yuuza
    Mar 22 '16 at 17:48
  • 1
    It seems your comment might be the best answer this question will have, so please turn it into an answer so that I can accept it. I'll still wait some time in case someone else replies, but your comment is as good an answer as any other.
    – anol
    Mar 22 '16 at 19:27
  • Não sei de nenhuma tradução estabelecida, mas «formatação amigável» parece-me uma hipótese.
    – Artefacto
    Mar 24 '16 at 17:08

Texto legível (by Google)

It's the most common way here.

"Texto amigável" I think that it's another alternative, if you want to means a kind of function that outputs a human-readable text. It's like friendly URLs.

"Formatação" has the sense of "pretty text". Is a text that have correct indentation, bolds, italics, etc.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.