While learning Portuguese, I've come across the subjunctive. As it was described to me, it was a "feeling" of uncertainty, or wishful.

Is that the true definition? Is there a better way to define it?

• Do you know any French? (Also, the subjunctive mood is used in English, as in "I wish I were" not "I wish I was", which comes close to the usage in Portuguese, or French.) – Earthliŋ Jul 14 '15 at 22:50
    I don't know French, but I do understand the "I wish I were" theory. It's been difficult, however, as there's not any extra "helper words" to indicate it - simply your desire, I guess. – brazilianldsjaguar Jul 14 '15 at 22:55
  • "a "feeling" of uncertainty" is probably not the "true definition". Maybe you could ask about good rules-of-thumb for when to use it. – Earthliŋ Jul 14 '15 at 22:58

O subjuntivo é usado para situações supostas ou imaginárias, para expressar dúvidas ou ações condicionais.

Suponhamos que termine nosso dinheiro, o que faremos?
Let's suppose that our money were finished, what will we do?

Caso venhas, ficarás em minha casa.
In case you come, you will stay in my house.

ENGLISH

The subjunctive is used to alleged or imaginary situations, to express doubts or conditional actions.

Suponhamos que termine nosso dinheiro, o que faremos?
Let's suppose that our money were finished, what will we do?

Caso venhas, ficarás em minha casa.
In case you come, you shalt be in my house.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.