When we are talking about some book or movie it's very common to see the following statements:

• "Esse filme é baseado em fatos reais.";
  • "O livro foi feito com base em fatos verídicos.";

My question is: Is it redundant?

I already saw some arguments saying that a "fato"(fact) is always real, but I think that we can use "fato fictício" or something, so "fatos reais" is not redundant to me.

Am I wrong?

Note: "fato" is pt_BR and "facto" is pt_PT. – Jorge B. Jan 7 '16 at 16:12
  • There are also fatos surreais. Is this a pleonasmo? Repetitions are frequently used to highlight a specific idea in several languages (real fact vs true facts. – Armfoot Jan 7 '16 at 16:18
  • @JorgeB. Hasn't the O.A. done away with the "c" in "facto"? – Centaurus Jan 8 '16 at 1:08
  • @Centaurus no, because fato is a suit on pt_PT: Com o Acordo Ortográfico, escreve-se facto ou fato? – Jorge B. Jan 8 '16 at 1:54
    Fact is like Event ... This is a event from chapter 46 of Harry Potter book... Harry Potter is not real :) – Guilherme Nascimento Jan 8 '16 at 1:56

Although there may be some redundancy, depending on how you define "fatos", "baseado em fatos reais" is a set phrase and means the same as "baseado em fatos verídicos". It's current usage and nobody stops to think whether it's redundant or not.

It depends on the meaning you are using for fa(c)to:

fac·to |ct|

(latim factum, -i, aquilo que se fez, façanha, proeza, acto) substantivo masculino

1. Coisa realizada. = ACTO, FEITO

2. Acontecimento.

3. Sucesso.

4. Assunto (de que se trata).

5. Lance.

"facto", in Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa [em linha], 2008-2013, http://www.priberam.pt/dlpo/facto [consultado em 08-01-2016].

If you add real to those definitions, only the first turns to look redundant: coisa realizada real.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.