In certain parts of Brazil (in the rural areas of Minas Gerais, for instance) some people tend to omit the last syllable of a word and join two words in speech. Is there a term for this linguistic phenomenon?


  • O bolo tá dendoforno (dentro do forno)
  • Eu já fiz metádoserviço (metade do serviço)
  • Eu tenquifazê um monte de coisas hoje (tenho que fazer)

1 Answer 1


According to Wikipedia, this would be a type of elision:

the omission of one or more sounds (such as a vowel, a consonant, or a whole syllable) in a word or phrase.

This is a very general term, as you can see from the definition. A more specific term would be synalepha:

the merging of two syllables into one, especially when it causes two words to be pronounced as one.

… most often refers to elision, …

And one could say that your examples come from relaxed pronunciation:

a phenomenon that happens when the syllables of common words are slurred together.

That page gives Portuguese examples, one of which reminds me of your examples above:

  • 'vambora = vamos embora
  • A good article (in Portuguese) about elision can be found here
    – gmauch
    Commented Dec 19, 2015 at 2:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.