How do I translate "proceedings" to Portuguese? The word I mean is the one used to describe an event (usually scientific) involving a series of activities. For instance:

Proceedings of the 15th international conference on Human-computer interaction

Are there differences in translation from Brazil to Portugal regarding this word's usage?

• In what context are you using proceedings? Isn't "Procedimentos" what you're looking for? – aldux Jul 14 '15 at 20:12
  • @aldux Good point. I will improve the question in a sec. – Luiz Vieira Jul 14 '15 at 20:13
  • @aldux I added a context to the question. Tks mate. – Luiz Vieira Jul 14 '15 at 20:18

As @aldux suggested, procedimentos would be a literal translation, which may work. However, I haven't been able to find "Procedimentos ..." as an actual title of conference proceedings.

Another related word is anais (which would be a literal translation of the English "annals"), which is used in the real world of conference proceedings, e.g. Anais do CNMAC, or Anais do IX Congresso Brasileiro de Atividade Física e Saúde. (For more examples, just Google.)

Another related word is acta, which strictly speaking is Latin, but apparently is used untranslated in Portuguese, too, e.g. Acta de Engenharia de Pesca.

I think anais is best if you're looking for a good equivalent of "proceedings" (in the sense of conference proceedings), but if you're just providing a straight translation (of an English journal name), maybe the literal procedimentos is better.

• Of course, anais makes me giggle... – brazilianldsjaguar Jul 14 '15 at 21:52
    For scientific conferences, "anais" is also the pattern used officialy in the ABNT (Brazilian Association of Technical Standards) rules. See here (paid document). – James Jul 16 '15 at 14:28

Dictionary definition:

A record of the doings or transactions of a fraternal, academic, etc., society. 1

Thus, it could be translate to: "Registro", "Ata", "Súmula" ou "Relatório":

Relatório da 15ª conferência internacional de interação Homem-Computador.

[1] definition

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.