It's very usual to find this in websites or softwares, like for example, when a website uses a software or functionality from another company as part of its functionality, somewhere in the website there's a "powered by <.company or software name>".

What would be the equivalent in Portuguese?

I believe that it is common to some companies to use the term:

Fornecido por

Joomla uses this translation for their templates:

Wordpress seems to have agreed with this term as well:

When trying to translate the "powered by" alone you usually get some weird suggestions, but when translating the term within a context some online translators brings lots of examples using the same term. Example:

Perhaps it's just my perception, but fornecido por seems a neutral way to describe the company who provided something (a hosting service, the searching engine used in a website, etc.) and powered by seems to me more like a positive way of saying the same thing. Like if the website is proud that company XXX is offering it's hosting service or providing the search engine used. Anyone agree? – gmauch Sep 17 '15 at 20:28
  • I agree, but I'm Brazilian and I'm not sure how natives speakers of English feels about that. It'd be nice to hear an opinion from them. – Math Sep 18 '15 at 14:14
    What better than use English SE to ask native speakers to clarify that doubt? Well, I asked this question, let's wait and hear from them! – gmauch Sep 18 '15 at 15:58

Even though fornecido por has been used in place of powered by already I’d like to present some alternatives for you consideration. Namely:

Assistido por

Habilitado por

Suportado por

Ajudado por

Here are my reasons. Suppose you have webpage X which uses some functionality Z supplied by firm Z, but functionality Z does not do all the work, it only helps webpage X to work seamlessly; or we might say functionality Z enables webpage X. So any of the alternatives above sort of conveys that idea, and has a more upbeat feel to it than fornecido por. Habilitar, tornar hábil ou apto a, prover (outrem) do preciso (para um fim) corresponds more closely to enable. It might take some getting used to, because it also has a legal meaning which is not relevant here. Otherwise it’s probably my favourite, followed by assistido por.

The literal translation of powered by is of course movido por, motorizado por. As used in the present context I suppose all powered by means is precisely enabled by, made to work by. which is not far from the phrases I suggested.

In the following phrases, "powered" is used with a noun to inform what kind of energy provides power to a certain equipment or machinery.

• nuclear-powered
  • solar-powered
  • battery-powered

With the advent of the computer, it began to be used to refer to a firm or corporation that provides the hardware (hard-disk, processor, motherboard).

In such cases, "powered by XXX" could be translated as "energizado por" or, simply, "funciona com hardware da..."

In ptBR "hardware" is a loan-word and is described in most dictionaries as "conjunto de unidades físicas que compõem um computador ou seus periféricos."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.